It is no secret that by this time a lot of us decided to venture out into a not so healthy path and back to our old habits. There is nothing wrong with that and it is part of the journey. For many of us getting into the healthy lifestyle takes courage, time and finding the true big WHY to ensure follow through.
On average each person who has problems with weight tries 7/8 times to lose it. Different diets, supplements, extensive exercise. Finally, many arrive into the conclusion that only small steps work with first of all fixing the nutrition and then adding the rest to the plan. They finally arrive exhausted from trying for so many years and are ready to try something new and more consistent.
We have been programmed to love sugar and flour as eating those foods ensured that we could survive times when food was scarce. We are designed to store fat and constantly seek pleasure.
The trouble is we have access to food 24/7 and we use it especially to eat our emotions. When you think about it, sugar and food is present when we are sad and when we celebrate. We have treats for good behaviour and treats when we feel stressed and bad. However, in life we feel 50% bad and 50% good. We can’t feel always good as this is not part of human experience. Constantly seeking pleasure is also not good and does not allow us to mature with our feelings and build that mental resilience we need to cope with various things in life.
It is not enough to learn how to lose weight , you have to practice this everyday. 3, 6 , 8 weeks programs are only giving you a baseline to changing your lifestyle so that you make more room for living and less room for eating. I know sticking to a healthy lifestyle is not easy to fit in into social norms. We evolved to be like everyone else. We want to be accepted and part of the tribe, we do not want to clarify our values or worse being challenged. It is safer that way.
You can get pleasure from food but you also can get pleasure in any other meaningful way to you without the detriment to your health and lifestyle. One example is alcohol, we are perfectly fine with none of it in our life, but we feel like we have to have it as part of a social occasion or because it gives us pleasure.
One way I want to think about the energy I get and pleasure to drive an action or result to achieve something amazing. Amazing things happen when you allow urges and cravings and then they happen less and less.
That new gained energy can be used to learn something new, sign up for some new yoga or exercise classes. Take part in a cooking workshop or save money for the trip you always wanted to go to.
Also remember that you play the game you want to win. If you binge on sugary treats , what game are you trying to win? You always have a choice which is in alignment with your desired state. I do believe that each behaviour has a positive intention. Quite often you binge to look for understanding, closeness, company and love. However, you are not sure how to address all these emotions and what desired state you really want for yourself.
Below I share some 5 tips to Spring clean your lifestyle with more energy and zest for life.
- Take everything that worked for you in the past and put on the paper and see if you can take one technique and use it consistently over several weeks – e.g. I know that I have dip in energy mid afternoon, I will have a healthy snack with me to feel less tempted to buy coffee and cookie at that time.
- Enroll in a new activity you have not tried before or you did as a child – e.g. hula hoop
- Spring clean your gut – Spring is perfect time to start cleanse and reset some old habits; you usually have more energy and days are sunnier and longer
- Go for a walk out in nature – great excuse to visit nearby woodland and start picking some fresh birch leaves or wild garlic for delicious pesto
- Consider working with coach to support you in your goals and help you to create a surplus springboard from which you can create healthy lifestyle you desire. Health is one of the most important elements of our life without it we have no energy for anything and when we run our own business who will look after it when you do not feel well? Don’t put off self-care for some other day. Make it a priority NOW.
Above all love yourself. Losing weight requires that you love the body you are in. Because if you don’t love it now, you won’t love it thin.
Your Coach M.
You can always book a free Breakhrough session with me to find out what is your desired state and how we could work together to get you to that state.
Book 45 min free session with me!
I am a Health Coach and Plant-Based Chef. I work with people who are fed up with dieting and I help them to build healthy habits so that they do not have to diet ever again.
Book free 45 min Double Your energy Breakthrough session with me and let's find you superpowers together.