Are you a fan or not of green smoothies or juices? I must say that I am but sometimes it is not easy to enjoy them all the time. I sometimes treat them as medicine, something my body needs and I can tell when it calls for the more green stuff. I usually have no energy, loads of craving for sugary food and I can’t focus. It is amazing how our bodies can tell us what we need as soon as we learn to read its signals.
I drink this particular smoothie especially during cold and flu season and I am also amazed how quickly it works. It contains some of the most nutrient-dense food on the planet, however, I have few instructions for you to look at before you start preparing it:
- Buy organic vegetables especially green leafy ones and cruciferous. Non-organic are heavily sprayed and the soil is quite toxic.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables properly. There are few tips how to do it: use baking soda – add 2 tbsp to the bowl of cold water soak, and if needed scrub with vegetable brush occasionally; you can also use food grade 2% hydrogen peroxide in a bowl of water, scrub and wash off with cold water; you can also use apple cider vinegar however a risk is that the produce will taste as vinegar.
- This recipe is a smoothie so it contains quite a lot of fibre. This may not be good for some people with IBS and bowel inflammation so it is better to try juice instead.
- Smoothies and juices are liquid so they quickly affect blood sugar levels. Keeping them more veggies than fruit will help to ensure they do not contain more sugar than necessary. Smoothies will affect blood sugar slower due to fiber. Commercial produced juices or smoothies quite often have an apple or other fruit juice as a base so they are very sweet.
- You can make more. Pour smoothie/juice into a shallow muffin tray and freeze. Then take out one by one and store in bags in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.
- Foods and nutrients specifically good for lowering inflammation: Spices/Herbs: garlic, ginger, turmeric/curcumin, green tea (I use green tea as the base for my smoothies); fruits and vegetables; greens, pineapple,carrot, beetroot, papaya, cucumber, onion, cruciferous vegetables, aloe vera; Vitamins: C,E,D; Other: Betacarotene, probiotics
Living state of juices, provides immune system, with vital nutrients for optimal health. Juices are rich in natural enzymes assisting in breaking down foods. This allows for less pressure on the body to produce its own enzymes, instead, body can heal and repair.
I am running my NEW YEAR 3 weeks Cleanse and Renew program starting on 13th January – Sign up here to receive more information and be on the waiting list. You will also receive my 3 days Juice fasting meal plan which you will be able to incorporate in the Cleanse program or do on your own, however, I always recommend checking with your GP and doing such programs under specialist supervision.
Anti-Inflammatory Green Smoothie Boost
- 150-200 mls spring water
- 40 g cucumber, chopped
- 20 g rocket
- 40 g spinach
- 20 g fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 10 g ginger (unpeeled)
- 1/2 turmeric root
- 1.5 g chlorella (a tip on the tsp)
- 20 g avocado
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 leaf gel from live aloe vera plant (optional)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
1. If using a bullet, squash all the ingredients into the container and fill water to the max water line with spring water and thoroughly blend until creamy smooth.
2. If using a blender, place water inside the blending jug first, then the cucumber and fennel bulb and blitz.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly until completely smooth.
4. Adjust the thickness of the smoothie by adding more water as required.
5. Drink the smoothie immediately or place in an airtight container (preferably glass) and refrigerate until required up to a maximum of 6 hours.